Consumers around the country are gearing up for the holiday shopping season. Fraudsters are also preparing for the holiday season to prey upon unsuspecting consumers. Ongoing awareness of these holiday scams is critical to help members protect their personal and financial information this holiday season.
Risk Prevention Tips
- Secure home computers and mobile devices: Members should ensure their home computers are secured with a firewall and antivirus software before performing any online transactions. Operating system patches should be downloaded when made available by software vendors. Members should also protect mobile devices (mobile phones, tablets, etc.) used to conduct online transactions by installing antivirus software.
- Phishing scams: Members should not respond to emails, text messages, and phone calls that advertise the sale of gift cards, holiday gifts, promotions, contests and jobs.
- Be wary of holiday offers for free items: Members should avoid tempting holiday offers, such as free downloadable applications for smartphones, antivirus software, screen savers, ring-tones and electronic greeting cards, which may be infected with viruses and/or malware.
- Be wary of shopping online at Craigslist and public auction sites: Members might purchase merchandise that is never delivered. Members should follow the best practices published by Craigslist and other public auction websites to avoid scams.
- Be wary of social media scams: Fraudsters often place bogus advertisements for free prizes on social media sites. Members should be instructed to not respond to these advertisements.
- Bogus charity scams: Members should confirm the legitimacy of the charity through the Better Business Bureau.
- Monitor accounts: Members should periodically monitor their deposit and credit card accounts to identify any unauthorized transactions. Members should be instructed to immediately report unauthorized transactions to the credit union.
Report scams to the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov or call toll-free 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).
NEW! Mobile Bill Payments—Pay bills quickly and securely from wherever you are—with Mobile Banking’s new bill payment option. Stop writing checks, paying for stamps and making trips to the post office by simply pressing a few buttons on your mobile phone. Learn more about Mobile Bill Pay.
Cash Around the Corner—Your NASA FCU Check Card provides you with access to over 4,600 Credit Union Service Centers and more than 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs—nationwide. You can also find surcharge-free ATMs at more than 5,500 7-Eleven store locations throughout the U.S. and Canada. Find a location near you.
Banking On-the-Go—NASA FCU Mobile Banking is convenient, secure and free,* giving you greater control over your finances via your mobile device. Perform banking transactions or check your balances wherever you happen to be with complete confidence. View a mobile banking online demo.
On-the-Spot Deposits— When receiving checks, why not deposit them right away? With Mobile Remote Deposit, you can deposit checks remotely through your mobile device—without ever having to step foot in a branch or visit an ATM. Learn more and enroll in Remote Deposit.
Convenient Gift Checks—Send personalized GiftPay gift checks right from BillPay+ for those hard- to-buy-for loved ones. They’re quicker and more secure than sending personal checks. No BillPay+? No problem! We also offer NASA FCU Visa Gift Cards**, which are accepted worldwide at any retailer or merchant that accepts the Visa credit or check card. Call 1-888-NASA-FCU with questions about how to make this a stress-free this holiday season.
*NASA FCU does not charge a fee for the use of NASA FCU Mobile Banking. Your mobile service carrier or provider may impose data usage or text message charges for your use of, or interactions with, Mobile Banking.
** The cost is just $3.95 per card.
Making Purchases for the holidays?
Or maybe you just need a little help paying for gifts. Whatever your purchasing needs are this holiday season, be sure to use the NASA Federal Platinum Advantage Rewards Credit Card. When you do, you’ll also enjoy some of the hottest rewards around.
- Huge Selection—Choose from a exceptional array of merchandise and travel rewards
- 1-to-1 Points—Earn one reward point for every dollar you spend—whether you’re shopping at the mall or shredding powder on the slopes
- Points Householding—Combine points from multiple accounts for even more rewards. Earn your rewards faster, reach higher rewards levels, and continue to use your multiple accounts.
- No Blackout Dates—Travel to your holiday destination on your terms—whenever your schedule permits
- Easy-to-Read Statements—Save time when reconciling your account
Transferring Balances is Easy and Free
Transferring balances from your higher-rate credit cards has never been easier. Plus, there is no fee. So transfer your higher-rate bal- ances to a NASA Federal Platinum Advantage Rewards Card today!
Win a new Apple TV® or iPad® just for using NASA FCU Credit or Check Cards! This holiday season, we’re giving away some really cool stuff through our iWin Sweepstakes*.
Whenever you use your NASA FCU Credit or Check Card to make a purchase between now and December 31, 2012, we’ll enter your name
to win an Apple TV or iPad®.
So when you’re out and about, or shopping online, be sure to reach for your NASA FCU Credit or Check Cards. When you do, you just might win an Apple TV or iPad® from NASA FCU! Don’t have a Card? Don’t worry! Learn more about NASA FCU Credit or Check Cards.
*Sweepstakes runs from October 15 through December 31, 2012. Please visit nasafcu.com/iWin to view iWin Sweepsakes Official Rules. NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT OR SUBMISSION TO A SALES PROMOTION NECESSARY TO WIN AND NONE INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Apple TV® and iPad® are registered marks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. NASA FCU is not endorsed, sponsored, affiliated with or otherwise authorized by Apple, Inc.
The NASA FCU Scholarship Committee is now accepting applications for the 2013 Mitchell-Beall-Rosen College Scholarship Contest.
Scholarships up to $7,000 may be awarded to one or more contest winners to assist with the costs of tuition, books and living expenses.
Applicants must be:
- The primary owner of a NASA FCU account
- A high school senior with an average grade of C or above
- Under the age of 21
Scholarships are awarded based on the evaluation of a 1,000 word essay and a personal interview conducted by the Scholarship Committee.